Saturday, January 17

A trip to the doctor

Been sick with a cold for over 2 weeks now, and it's showing no signs of getting better, so I broke down and went to the doctor this morning. I couldn't take the wet racking cough, constant runny nose, lost voice, and raw sore throat for one more day.

The doctor's office was a small hole in the wall in Colonia Reforma (a small suburb that's really just part of Oaxaca City). I almost missed it except for the small sign and open door. After descending 2 marble steps, I spoke with a receptionist, who had me write my name on a list (nobody can pronounce it, let alone spell it here). The room had 4 long vinyl pea-soup colored benches arranged in a square, with a blaring TV in the corner. It was almost full. I took a seat and read a crappy John Grisham while I waited for my turn, trying not to cough or blow my nose or otherwise act contagious.

After an hour in the waiting room, surrounded by very well-behaved 3-year-olds, their moms and grandmothers, a couple teenagers and their parents, it was finally my turn. The doctor was very nice and spoke very slow, clear Spanish (I knew he must speak English, since he was recommended to me by the Institute, and they only work with doctors who know English). I was grateful that he let me practice my Spanish. He looked at my throat, ears and nose, listened to my breathing, and asked some questions. In the end, he prescribed cough syrup and some sort of anti-flu medication. So my illness is not bacterial. His diagnosis was basically lack of sleep (I've been getting 10 hrs a night), and stress from work and change of scenery (duh). All of this took about 5 minutes, cost 300 pesos (about $25), and that was that.

I'm glad I don't have bronchitis or something worse, but I'm going to have to lick this on my own without antibiotics, and it's already been 2 weeks with no sign of improvement. It's really hard to teach when you have no voice and have to blow your nose constantly. The anti-flu medicine is already drying that up a bit, but not completely. Boo hoo.

My students better watch out. My temper is on a very short leash these days, especially since I can't afford to indulge in self-pity without running the risk of completely freaking out.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you've been sick for so long. Maybe Scott can send you some gypsy cold care tea. That stuff is like a magic elixir for me. Maybe it will work for you too in combination with the medicine. Sending you healthy energy from Barcelona...

    ReplyDelete